Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Respond To The Book We Are Reading

garcia gThe book to me has been really confusing already. I really do not understand what the book is talking about. Usually a book will come with some type of message or an overall theme to it and I have not seen that yet in How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents. I think the reason why I am not getting the book so much is because of the way it is organized. I have never read a book where they do backwards chronological order and that’s why the whole book is not making sense to me at the moment. There are four short chapters in the first part of the book and the book is divided into three big parts.
 
I have to admit that I think the book so far is not really that good, but the short stories are kind of interesting. The whole first part of the book talks about the four girls that are the main characters to this story: Yolanda, Sandra, Sofia and Carla. This first part is saying the story in the present tense to where the girls are right now. It is still confusing though because when they talk about the stories as they are being told, they are basically going back to the past.
The first four chapters all have to do with the lives of the four girls and how their relationship is with their parents who brought them to America. The girls are from the Dominican Republic, but they have not talked about when they were there yet. They only talked about that in the first chapter, but that is when Yolanda, one of the four sisters went back there to visit some of the family.
For the next two parts of the book, I do hope that the story will start making more sense and that it will be more interesting to read about because right now, it really isn’t. I predict that the next two section of the book will only talk about how the girls were misbehaving and the story of how the family came to live in America.